The Italian word Agriturismo is a combination of the words ‘agriculture’ and ‘Tourism’. It became an official type of vacationing in farmhouse resorts, coded into Italian law, since 1985.
In many parts of Italy small scale farming became less profitable. As a result many farmhouses were abandoned by their owners. In 1985 the agriturismo law was defined to help farmers develop other ways of gaining income and to prevent the further loss of traditional farming skills that many these farmers possess.
Many a farmer took this opportunity to convert and renovate his farmhouse into agriturismo accommodation. Since that time we have seen a amazing rise in popularity of Agriturismo as a holiday option.
The popularity of Agriturismo or Farmhouse holidays is mainly based on the high value Italians, and especially farmers in Abruzzo, give to traditions and the quality of their products. Many of the Abruzzo agriturismo farmers take pride in producing their own wine, olive oil and other products which are also served and sold to their guests.
It allows many tourists to experience the great rural live of Italy in truly beautiful surroundings. Far away from mass tourism, but still with all the comfort you expect on a holiday.
Agriturismi di Qualita
On our website we offer you the farmhouses that collaborate in the association Terranostra Abruzzo. They aim to ensure uniform standards to provide guests with the highest level of comfort and service.
Agriturismi di Qualita minimal requirements:
- The farmhouse restaurant serves local dishes with mainly home grown ingredients.
- The owner of the agriturismo is attentive to the use of natural resourses and keeps waste and use of resourses to a minimum.
- Quality farmhouses organize cultural trips for their guests.
- The owners will look after the guests to see that noise is kept to a minimum.
- At the Quality farmhouses you can experience the agricultural production and local traditions.
Abruzzo is the perfect setting for a farmhouse holiday.
Discover the green region of Abruzzo